Thursday, October 29, 2009

Repackaging the "Mart"



The Walmart in Riverdale is undergoing its repackaging to fit the new corporate image. You've probably seen the commercials on TV stating that you can still be happy and buy the things rich people do...Or something close to it produced in China and sold for a fraction of the price. BUT anyway that doesn't bother me as much as the actual physical remodel of the store.

We never shop at the Riverdale Walmart, because it isn't the closest, but we were in that part of town and it was late in the evening so we stopped in. Now any good, law abiding, normal minded, American knows that most Walmarts have the same general layout. You know that the soap is here, the toys there, and frozen pizzas on the other side. Well this night left the wife and I confused (mostly me).

Everything you can think of was out of place. There was flour next to the pharmacy and I think we counted six aisles of candy. (I think I notice unmentionables in the freezer aisle.) Even with that, the magic of food placement didn't stop there. As we came around the corner we noticed that all but one aisle sign was blank. Now we were in an unfamiliar Walmart layout and we had no map, signs, or magic lamp to guide us.

Luckily the wife is pretty smart and as I complained, took pictures, and pushed the cart she rounded up everything we had on the list except for Vodka sauce.(If you've never tried it I suggest you give it a shot...no pun intended) So the repacking of Walmart didn't kill us but next time I would like to at least see a sign begging us to "Pardon Their Dust".

No comments:

Post a Comment