Monday, June 7, 2010

connected

Andrea deleted her Facebook account. Yep that's right. She just up and deleted it. Will she go back and use it again one of these days? Probably. But what I find interesting is her ability to be unconnected. I tried to explain the implications of deleting her account but she'd already made up her mind. She knows people won't miss her online and that's not how she connects with the people she loves.

On the other hand I'm connected online. I've thought about deleting my Facebook account before. I've never come close to doing it but I've let the thought dance across my mind. Why do I need it? I did fine without it for all those years. (By the way what did we do online before there was YouTube?)

Why do we need to be connected online? Why can't we be satisfied with the face to face connections we have?

I occasionally post something profound (stupid) to Facebook or Twitter but lately I've found myself in the habit of people watching. Not exactly stalking but reading blogs, wall posts, and tweets. It's very interesting to see how people's lives are forming. People that I've had a face to face relationship with at one time or another. With each line or blog post I can see how a person is living or what's inspiring them at the moment. It in turn inspires me. Maybe not to the point where I'm going to paint a work or art or write a novel but it makes my soul smile.

Sorry about the jumble of thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment